We have been getting a lot of questions from our readers regarding the 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits. In this blog post, we will discuss what P-EBT is all about, whether it will continue in the summer of 2023, eligibility requirements, the application process, distribution timeline, benefit amounts, and frequently asked questions.
- California Approved for 2023 Summer P-EBT Benefits
- What is P-EBT?
- Who is Eligible for 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits?
- Do I need to apply for Summer P-EBT for 2023?
- Are Private School Students Eligible for Summer 2023 P-EBT?
- When will the 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits be Distributed?
- How Much will my Child Receive in Summer 2023 P-EBT Benefits?
- Summary - 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits
California Approved for 2023 Summer P-EBT Benefits
On April 10, 2023, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) approved California’s Summer 2023 Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) State plan for school-age children.
This plan aims to provide additional assistance to eligible households during the summer months.
What is P-EBT?
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is a program that provides electronic food benefits to eligible families with school-age children.
It was established to help bridge the gap caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, ensuring that children have access to nutritious meals even when schools are closed.
This program is different from the Extra CalFresh Allotment, which is ending.
Who is Eligible for 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits?
To be eligible for the 2023 California Summer P-EBT benefits, the following requirements must be met:
- Enrolled for at least one day in May 2023 in a school that participated in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or School Breakfast Program (SBP) during the 2022–23 school year.
- Student eligibility:
- Determined eligible at any time during the 2022–23 school year for free or reduced-price meals through meal application, alternative income form, direct certification, or designation as homeless, migrant, or foster.
- Attended a school that participates in Provision 2 or the Community Eligibility Provision, regardless of individual student eligibility.
Please note that certain situations may disqualify students from receiving Summer 2023 P-EBT benefits, such as graduating before May 1, 2023, transferring out of state, transferring to a school not participating in NSLP or SBP before May 1, 2023, or being a young child under the age of 6 not enrolled in a K-12 public school.
Do I need to apply for Summer P-EBT for 2023?
No, eligible households do not need to apply for Summer P-EBT benefits for 2023. The benefits will be automatically provided to eligible students based on their enrollment and eligibility status in the school programs.
Are Private School Students Eligible for Summer 2023 P-EBT?
Yes. Private schools will be provided a separate process to report eligible student information for P-EBT benefits.
The eligibility, benefits, and timeframes are the same and should not be impacted.
The CDE will provide private schools more information in a separate communication.
When will the 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits be Distributed?
The California Department of Social Services (CDSS) will begin mailing Summer P-EBT cards between July 16, 2023, and August 30, 2023.
These cards, distinguishable as P-EBT 4.0 cards, will be mailed to the address maintained in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Database (CALPADS).
It is important for school districts to ensure that address data is up-to-date, and for students without an address, to populate either the school or district address.
How Much will my Child Receive in Summer 2023 P-EBT Benefits?
For the Summer 2023 P-EBT period from June through August 2023, each eligible child will receive a set benefit amount of $120.
Summary – 2023 California Summer P-EBT Benefits
Here’s the bottom line about the summer 2023 P-EBT benefits:
The CDSS will begin mailing Summer P-EBT cards between July 16, 2023, and August 30, 2023.
Eligible children include those who were enrolled for at least one day in May 2023 in a school that participated in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or School Breakfast Program (SBP) during the 2022–23 school year.
We hope this post on the California SNAP Payment Schedule for April was helpful.
Want to know when you will receive your Calfresh benefits in May 2023? Check it out here.
If you have further questions about California SNAP or EBT Card, please let us know in the comments section below.
Also, be sure to check out our other articles about California SNAP and EBT, including: